Monday, December 16, 2013

dyeing in melbourne






































On my recent trip down south, I had the chance to catch up with a friend for some dyeing with the Handweavers and Spinners Guild of Victoria in Melbourne. Each month, the dye group meets to try out a new dye and November was Indigo month.

I had already dyed with Indigo a couple of times before - with the girls from Shibori - and I love the beautiful textured colour this dye produces. I took along some beautiful handspun Portuguese wool and a couple of second-hand vintage doilies to throw in the dye pot and I was really pleased with the results. A lovely lady had also brought along some Hibiscus flowers, so we had an extra dye pot going, which produced the beautiful chartreuse-coloured samples you can see in the pictures above.

All the ladies were so welcoming and encouraging! If you're in Melbourne, I really recommend heading along to a dye session. Or if you're in Sydney, check out the Spinners and Weavers Guild which meets monthly in Burwood.

#1 indigo and hibiscus dye samples drying in the sunny alleyway
#2 Robyn Heywood, our dye teacher
#3 Glen and Nat
#4 admiring each others work
#5 another students beautiful sample - coreopsis overdyed with indigo

No comments:

Post a Comment